Monday, November 13, 2006

My own hipocrisy

In the interest of self-reflection and self-improvement, I am trying to avoid behaviors that might cause other people to be uncomfortable.

On Saturday night I was talking to the bf about the different personality types of my two roommates. I told him that D (roommate 1) has a way of making people feel completely at ease. For example in the year and a half I've spent living with him, I've never felt uncomfortable if I had one of his beers or used some laundry detergent he had purchased. Conversely, he could have used anything of mine knowing that I wouldn't give a damn. Neither of us keeps score because we know it always evens out in the end.

Contrast that with K (roommate #2 and gf of roommate #1) -- I get the sense that K is indeed keeping score. The best example of this is yogurt -- we both eat the same kind of milk yet she insists on buying and opening her own carton. I'm sure she notices (and maybe gets annoyed?) if I were to use her stuff.

In a hypocritical manner, on Sunday morning I commented to the bf that he is a "hot sleeper." He's often very warm at night and somewhat sweaty. This is obviously something totally out of his control, and in no material way do I find it offensive. Nonetheless, I decided to tell him this for no particular reason other than that I found it slightly annoying when he was trying to cuddle with me. Even though I tried to say it in a nice way, I think he actually took it for what I was really saying.

Granted, this is very minor in the grand scheme of things, however it was unnecessary and I think I may have made him feel a bit uncomfortable and self-conscious. Overall, I think that I rarely say things that make other people uncomfortable but I strive to never do it.

No comments: