Thursday, September 21, 2006

My plan for the new job

As I have written here previously, I have accepted a new job at a major investment bank where I will be doing internal finance/accounting type of work. Today, I found out that a colleague of mine is leaving to work at the same bank….. except she got a job doing Private Equity!!

I have to admit, I’m a little bit jealous! She told me that she initially went in to apply for a similar job that I am taking, but somehow they moved her along to speak with the PE people. Aside from my minor jealousy, I am extremely happy for her. She was one of those people who you could see was going to be very successful. She is extremely attractive, she has a winning personality, she smiles all the time, she’s fun to be around, she’s highly intelligent, and she works very hard. Given all that, I can’t see how anybody wouldn’t want to hire her!

This has gotten me thinking – I have the potential to be one of those people, but I am not there yet! My last two years in public accounting have set me back because I have not been focused and I have not worked hard! Yes, I have learned about accounting and financial statements, but not nearly as much as I would have learned had I been a banker or something.

Now is my second chance to make something of myself. Here’s what I want to happen at my new job:

  • I want to go in everyday with an attitude that I have to work hard… not like what I have now where I feel that there are no consequences if I laze about and get nothing done
  • I want to be focused and I want to care about what I’m doing
  • I want to go to the gym every night and get in a great workout after work (I get my best workouts when I’m doing well at work)
  • I want to drink more green tea and less coffee (totally random but this is correlated to my mood and attitude)
  • I want to bring a great attitude to work – I want to know everyone’s name and smile and laugh a lot
  • I want to “fit-in” with the office culture
  • Finally, I want to do a great job and feel good about myself again

1 comment:

GB said...

Good luck with new new job mate.

GB xxx